When I started sewing, I mainly focused on quilting, and less on the apparel side of things; quilts are typically pretty straight forward (or at least, the quilts that I make are), they are rather One Size Fits All, and no one gets all judgey if your quilt seams are a little wonky. Eventually, though, I caught the bug and started making small things for my daughter to wear. She’s very much a girly girl, so I researched dresses and managed to knock out some simple stuff.
The first attempts were not pretty. But things improved over time.
So I’ve got a hairbrained idea this year to make her Easter dress. And not only that – but this is a dry run for making her dress (and her soon to be cousin’s dress) for her aunt’s wedding in June. I know, right? I’m officially screwing with someone’s wedding, and you KNOW how that can go. I’m glad I’m working the kinks out at Easter, because this pattern and I are confusing the crap out of each other.
I wanted something sleeveless and not overly formal, since the end goal making dresses that are suitable for a beach wedding. Also, it had to fit my little girl and the other, older girl – these patterns split their sizes up funky, between Childrens’ and Girls’ sizes. I caught Joann’s during one of their “5 for $5″ McCall’s pattern extravaganza and scooped up M6020 in two sizes:
For Easter, I got all springy. The final fabric choice for the wedding will be up to the bride, but for this round I’m in charge. I have always loved the Lisette fabrics, but the prices have always put me off; I’m not going to lie to you when I say that I cringe at paying $10 a yard for fabric. When Joann has their storebrand quilting fabric, normally $5 a yard, on for $2.50 a yard, I’m there bright and early to stock up. I stalk the scrap bin, looking for bits and pieces for quilts. I’m the exact opposite of a fabric snob. However, there was some sort of a sale going on for 40% off the Lisette, so I jumped at the opportunity and bought a couple of yards of one of their poplins. I’m pairing it with some pink cotton I already had in my stash for a sash. How happy is this dress going to be?
Now I’m sitting here and I’m trying to figure out exactly how this thing goes together. One thing that I have learned from my previous attempts at using patterns is that you seriously need to sit down and read the full instructions before you attempt it. This pattern has me understitching the neckline and armholes as on the dress – but I had no earthly idea what that is, and of course they just expect you to be able to figure it out. Fortunately, there exists this awesome thing called The Internet, and I was able to locate a YouTube Video that detailed the process nicely. Once the fabrics are laundered, I’m diving in.
Next up: cutting the damn thing out and deciphering the construction. Also, My First Clothing Zipper.